Monday, September 12, 2011

Smoky logistics

A buddy of mine asked me today, "so what are the logistics for your upcoming trip to the Smokies?" I dove into our plan - two of us are heading down there on our bikes (instead of towing them behind the Element). This led to some baiting, which I totally fell for, where my friend told me the logistics seem more complicated when leaving the trailer behind. I disagree - allow me to polish off the last quarter of this Bell's Pale Ale and tell you why.

First of all, I have the trailer prep (and or repair) that I have not yet done this year. Taking the bikes down? No such prep required.

Second, I have the packing. If I'm taking the Element, I may as well pack it with all the safety net items (race stands, toolbox, every piece of gear I own, etc.). But if I'm taking the bike? Whatever fits in the trunks and my tank bag is it. I know what I *need* to take. So packing is easier, faster, and less stressful.

Third, you have the actual act of driving. There will be many miles of boring, straight highway - and of course the convenience of conquering those in a car surely has the motorcycles beat. But then you have the twisties that start not too long after Waynesville. While navigating the good roads with a trailer can be an exciting challenge, it can also be pretty nerve-wracking if you only do it once a year. And if you want to make the most of every twisty road encountered, you may as well be on 2 wheels as soon as possible. Time to recycle this bottle...

No comments: