Wednesday, December 16, 2009

On to a supersport

So I just took my first trip on a Supersport 600 - a 2006 ZX6R, to be specific. The first of many...

blue_means_business

I'm coming off some serious saddle time on a 2001 SV650S, and while I welcome the challenge, this Ninja is just a little intimidating.

First of all, it's got a more aggressive sitting position, but I knew I was signing up for that. So, moving right along...

Second, the steering is unpredictable. At least I can't predict it - not yet, anyway (Boy, do I sound sure of myself or what?). The balance of throttle and counter-steer necessary to hold your lean angle is weird on this bike. There's a very sudden drop-off point - I arrive there when I'm holding a steady throttle, and increase counter-steer just a bit. I find myself in this panic sitch where I need more throttle (or less counter-steer) to stay up. Of course, this is relatively low-speed driving which I assume the bike wasn't designed for. Regardless, is this characteristic of a shorter wheelbase?

GOBS of power, and I haven't even touched the top 3rd to redline. I have a feeling I'll have to ease my way there.

:)

The bike is adjusted for 160 lbs, and I weigh-in @ a whopping 130. I assume this explains why I have this sensation that the front of the bike is bouncing all over the place. On a nice clover-leaf off ramp, I tried to have a little safe fun. But I was continuously caught off-guard by a very active front wheel. Felt every discontinuity in the road. That's not dramatic enough; I took a tour of every discontinuity in the road. I could draw a picture of what each one looked like after I went over it. Is this what great suspension feels like, or is this what mal-adjusted suspension feels like?

Good times await!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

For the bike falling into turns, this is a characteristic of either worn down the middle or overly triangular profiled tires. What brand and what condition are the tires in. The bump tracking you described on the front end sounds very much like the problem that heather had with my CBR. I would guess the front end is too stiff right now. Try setting sag for your weight, and backing out some of the rebound damping. Nice looking bike.

author said...

Ah, exactly who I hoped would chime-in :) The rear tire is rather worn and kinda flat in the middle - so you may be right. They're Pirelli Diablos of some kind, which I usually ride on and tend to like...

Yeah, I think you're right about the suspension - I'll have to set the sag (and learn how to adjust these new fangled forks/shock) asap.

Unknown said...

If the tire is worn, I have no doubt that it is the problem. When its worn down the middle, it creates basically corners on the tires. As you turn, you roll from the flat onto this edge which has increased turn in resistance, and when you get past it, it feels like you are falling off the world, and the bike all of a sudden wants to turn in hard. That sound about right?

author said...

A shot of the worn rear tire - for reference's sake:

rearTire

I've definitely seen worse...the front doesn't really have a flat spot.