Saturday, October 29, 2011

Roadside repair

On my way home from work yesterday, the rear tire felt like it slid (big time) around two turns. This seemed too coincidental - that there were two slick spots, both in turns at lighted intersections - so I pulled over to inspect.

My chain was crazy-loose.  After some deliberation, I decided the axle must be loose enough to slide around when I roll-on.  But I don't have my breaker bar or rear stand - how am I going to fix this?  So I roll the dice and spill the contents of the SV650's toolkit onto The asphalt.

-BAM!  Pliers - I can remove the rear axle nut's cotter pin.

-POW!  24mm wrench with extender.  I had to work at it, but I was able to break the rear axle nut.

-BOOM!  An open-ended wrench that fits the chain adjustment nuts at the ends of the swing arm.

A few minutes and some greasy hands later I was back on the road conquering off-ramps - rear staying true.  I guess it's a little late for me to be learning this, but you can do a lot with the stock toolkit on a motorcycle.

o-`o

No comments: